Last time I checked, there was no Jewish St Patrick’s Day. It’s just not a Jewish Holiday. Then I looked again and it says “Everyone’s Irish on St. Patrick’s Day.” So to my Jewish Irish readers I say, Happy St. Patrick’s Day.
I did a bit of research and here is what I found:
According to one legend the Irish are actually descended from 7 Jewish maidens (and pre-Celtic men) who survived a shipwreck off the Green Island of Eire.
In fact, there are many Famous Irish Jews, here are a few you might know:
- Robert Briscoe, member of the Irish Republican Army during the Anglo-Irish War and twice Lord Mayor of Dublin (1956 and 1961).
- Ben Briscoe (son of Robert Briscoe), former Fianna Fáil T.D. and Lord Mayor of Dublin (1988).
- Daniel Day-Lewis, actor (an Irish citizen with Jewish mother).
- Rabbi Yitzhak HaLevi Herzog, Chief Rabbi of Ireland from 1919 to 1937, later of Palestine and Israel.
- Chaim Herzog, sixth President of Israel.
- Sir Otto Jaffe, Lord Mayor of Belfast (1899 and 1904).
- Max Nurok, Israeli Consul-General to Australia, subsequently Israel’s first Ambassador to Australia.
You probably came here for a bit’o Jewish-Irish Fun. These “Kiss Me, I’m Jewish” t-shirts did it for me: – lime Green for boys, black for girls. Interesting choices, but if you really wanted one of these, Zazzle let’s you chose your shirt color.
These shirts were created on Zazzle by FunnyFloridian.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Travel Countdown to the Start of our Adventure: 11 days!
If you want to follow our 250 day adventure around the globe, I will be blogging at Laugh-Quotes.com. Subscribe to Laugh Quotes feed and follow along or If you don’t want to miss any of our adventure, Click here to have each post sent to your email box.