When I was growing up my favorite passover food was fried matzoh. That hasn’t changed I know there are several recipes out there, but I always like the way my mom made it best. So that is what I am going to share with you.
It’s pretty easy and lots of fun to make. Like all great Jewish recipes, it was never written down, just passed from mom to daughter, generation after generation.
My mom is no longer here to confirm my accuracy, and last time I asked my sister, she didn’t remember either. So, being that I am the self proclaimed expert on my mom’s fried matzoh, I am certifying the following to be true and correct.
Are you ready?
Fried Matzo Recipe
Here is what you will need:
- 1 Sheet Matzo (per person)
- 1 Egg (per person)
- 1 Teaspoon milk (approximately)
- Bowl with water
- Butter (to grease pan)
Plus you will need either cinnamon and sugar or with Jam.
Now the fun part:
You will need two bowls and a fry pan to make Fried Matzo. Prepare one at a time.
- Put about an inch of water in the first bowl, then break apart one slice of matzo, leaving it to soak the water.
- In the other bowl beat an egg with a bit of milk.
- When matzo becomes saturated by the water (2-3 minutes), squeeze the water out with your hands and add drained matzo to the egg mixture (leave water in bowl for the next Fried Matzo piece – which you can start soaking as soon as this one is in the pan)
- Add the matzo / egg mixture to pre-heated and buttered fry pan and spreading flat.
- Cook on both sides until slightly brown.
- Serve with either jam or sprinkle cinnamon/sugar mixture on top. (We mix 2 portions sugar to 1 portion cinnamon a separate container).
Want to see it with step by step pictures? Check out: Rhonda’s Mom’s Fried Matzo Recipe
Follow Our Adventure!
We in the early days of our trip around the world. I am pretty sure we are still on schedule at this point, so we are in Shanghai, China – or more likely the Jewish neighborhood of Suzhou with my friend Elyn. If you want to know where we actually are, be sure to follow my other blog: Laugh Quotes – Laughing our Way Around the Globe!.