Last time I checked, there was no Jewish St Patrick’s Day. It’s just not a Jewish Holiday. Then I looked again and it says “Everyone’s Irish on St. Patrick’s Day.” So to my Jewish Irish readers I say, Happy St. Patrick’s Day.
I did a bit of research and here is what I found:
According to one legend the Irish are actually descended from 7 Jewish maidens (and pre-Celtic men) who survived a shipwreck off the Green Island of Eire.
In fact, there are many Famous Irish Jews, here are a few you might know:
- Robert Briscoe, member of the Irish Republican Army during the Anglo-Irish War and twice Lord Mayor of Dublin (1956 and 1961).
- Ben Briscoe (son of Robert Briscoe), former Fianna Fáil T.D. and Lord Mayor of Dublin (1988).
- Daniel Day-Lewis, actor (an Irish citizen with Jewish mother).
- Rabbi Yitzhak HaLevi Herzog, Chief Rabbi of Ireland from 1919 to 1937, later of Palestine and Israel.
- Chaim Herzog, sixth President of Israel.
- Sir Otto Jaffe, Lord Mayor of Belfast (1899 and 1904).
- Max Nurok, Israeli Consul-General to Australia, subsequently Israel’s first Ambassador to Australia.
You probably came here for a bit’o Jewish-Irish Fun. These “Kiss Me, I’m Jewish” t-shirts did it for me: – lime Green for boys, black for girls. Interesting choices, but if you really wanted one of these, Zazzle let’s you chose your shirt color.