Silky, creamy, and smooth, this cheesy gluten-free bechamel sauce adds richness to any dish.
Bechamel sauce is a great and cheesy addition to any recipe that needs it. I first made gluten-free bechamel sauce for moussaka. It’s so creamy and rich – it definitely becomes the highlight of any dish!
Since bechamel sauce normally contains flour, it was nice to find a way to make it with gluten-free flour. Now, it’s an easy celiac-safe sauce that I can whip in in five minutes!
I have some allergies, so I like being clear about what allergens are in my food. I’m happy to say that this bechamel sauce is:
- Soy free
- Low carb
I’ve made this sauce before for friends, and they couldn’t even taste that it was made with gluten free flour. I find that people who regularly eat gluten can often notice the difference, so it’s a great relief that I can make this safe for me to eat and unnoticeable for my gluten friends’ palettes.
What you need to make gluten-free bechamel sauce
- Gluten-free flour
- (Chedder) cheese
Tips for making bechamel sauce
- Don’t let your bechamel sauce over-reduce, or it will become too thick. It will appear thinner when you cook it than when you let it cool down. If it cools and becomes too thick, reheat it and add a bit more milk, stirring continuously until it is a thinner consistency.
- The sauce should have a smooth consistency and be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
I use this sauce in my favorite gluten-free moussaka recipe.
- 1 ounce butter (30 grams)
- 2 teaspoons flour, gluten-free
- 7 ounces milk (200 mL)
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese (100 grams)
- Melt the butter over medium-low heat in a small pot.
- Stir in flour and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add milk gradually, stirring until the sauce is smooth.
- Stir in the cheese and nutmeg. The sauce should be thick enough to cover the back of a spoon. It will further thicken once off of the heat, so do not overcook it. If needed, add more milk to thin the sauce.
Don’t let your gluten free bechamel sauce over-reduce, or it will become way too thick. It should have a smooth consistency and be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 60 ml
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 157Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 38mgSodium: 205mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 7g
Nutritional information isn't always accurate and it will vary based on the specific ingredients used.
Please share and save for later
If you enjoyed this article, please share it on social media and save it for later on Pinterest.
Have you made my cheesy gluten-free bechamel sauce?
More sauce and spice recipes you might like
Photos on this page are either shot by our team and watermarked as such, in the public domain, or some stock photos were supplied by DepositPhotos.