These dairy and gluten-free cinnamon swirl muffins create a delicious and healthy breakfast with nutritious zucchini, raisins, and several spices with anti-inflammatory properties.
Breakfast, snack time, or dessert, I think my sister came up with a real winner when she modified her favorite muffin mix, thus creating healthy gluten-free cinnamon swirl muffins. Moist and delicious, these muffins will quickly take over as a family favorite.
If you have never baked with zucchini before, don’t let this vegetable confuse you. Mixed in with muffins, it is sweet, tasty, and healthy, bringing additional nutrients and antioxidants to every bite.
And that’s not all. By adding in cloves, ginger, and nutmeg (along with the cinnamon), these healthy muffins become a bit of a superfood, offering anti-inflammatory, digestive, and anti-bacterial benefits.
These gluten-free cinnamon swirl muffins tick all of the boxes
- Gluten-free and dairy-free
- Easy to make
- A healthy adaptation from a mix that contains no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives
- Makes great mini-muffins for parties and pot-luck events
- Contains cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. Each of these four spices has anti-inflammatory properties, according to Healthline*.
*See Healthline articles here and here.
What you need to make gluten-free cinnamon swirl muffins
- Krusteaz Gluten-Free Cinnamon Swirl Crumb Cake and Muffin Mix (If you are not baking for someone gluten-free, you can substitute Krusteaz Classic Cinnamon Swirl Crumb Cake Mix)
- Spices: ginger, cloves, and nutmeg
How Krusteaz got their name
My sister shares her research:
“Funny thing, I always thought this was a fancy imported brand from Germany or something, but the story on the box tells of a few women during the depression (1932) that invented an easy pie crust mix and called it “Krusteaz” (crust+ease). I learn something new every day! And now I know how to pronounce it.“
Adjustment from the Krusteaz gluten-free cinnamon swirl mix
These muffins taste quite a bit different from those made directly from the package. We make the following adjustments:
- Omit water and one of the five eggs
- Add shredded zucchini
- Add raisins
- Include additional spices: ginger, cloves, and nutmeg
I love these muffins for breakfast alongside a turmeric almond milk latte. It keeps my entire meal gluten and dairy-free. And, more importantly, it’s delicious!
Gluten-free cinnamon swirl muffins recipe
This gluten-free cinnamon muffins recipe was contributed by Stefanie Rembiszewki, the talented violinist behind Classical Aisles.
Gluten and dairy-free cinnamon swirl muffins
Easy dairy and gluten-free cinnamon swirl muffins with zucchini and raisins.
- Krusteaz Gluten-Free Cinnamon Swirl Crumb Cake and Muffin Mix
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups zucchini (shredded)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC).
- Line muffin pan with baking paper or cups (or use a silicone muffin pan).
- Pour muffin mix into a mixing bowl. Stir in spices.
- Stir in eggs, one by one. Add oil and mix. The batter will be lumpy.
- Fold in shredded zucchini and raisins.
- To add cinnamon flavor throughout, half fill twelve muffin cups with the batter. Then sprinkle half of the mix's cinnamon topping over the batter.
- Evenly spoon the remaining batter onto each muffin and sprinkle the remaining cinnamon mixture on top.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool on a rack for 5-10 minutes before serving.
For mini muffins, reduce cooking time to 8 - 10 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 Muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 156Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 73mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 3g
Nutritional information isn't always accurate and it will vary based on the specific ingredients used.
See more recipes by Stefanie
Please share and save for later
If you enjoyed this article, please share it on social media and save it for later on Pinterest.
Breakfast or snack time, when will you enjoy these cinnamon swirl muffins?
More breakfast recipes you might like
Disclaimer: Statements regarding health benefits are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or health condition.
these look delicious too! OMG SAVED !
Those muffins look tasty and delicious!
I love any recipe with hidden veggies! Sometimes I also sneak in grated carrots — or even broccoli!
These look so good! I love the use of a mix too. Zucchini is such a fun way to jazz it up! Thanks for sharing!!
I must try making these muffins. I have recently started liking cinnamon in y bakes so will like it as for zucchini in bakes well that’s good as then no one knows what they are eating!
Gluten and dairy-free cinnamon swirl muffins look so good. Loved the use of various spices in here. I am sure this must be smelling so good. Such an easy recipe worth trying.
These look so yum! So cool the way you can use zuchinni in recipes
They look so great! I’m always on the lookout for some healthy breakfast or snack. I also love sneaking veggies into my kids’ food. I’ll be making these for sure. Do you think substituting zucchini with carrots would make them like carrot cake? I might try both.
These look and sound great and so many ways to make them.
My daughter just loves cinnamon so this cinnamon swirl muffins recipe sounds perfect. Thanks!
Bless my food by payal
Can feel the aroma of cinnamon spread in your kitchen. This must be mesmerizing. Beautifully photographed and nicely explained post. Awesome work.
I love most anything with cinnamon!
These look so delicious! Can’t wait to whip up a batch for my next pot luck event 🙂
I love your use of ginger, cloves, and nutmeg to spice these muffins – and wow – this is such an easy recipe – I’m thinking of making a batch for next week – thanks for this recipe!
You always bring the healthiest foods! I definitely want to try these muffins.
I saw this recipe on pinterest and had to click for more details, enjoy that is gluten free and that has zucchini
Love how simple these are! I can only imagine how delicious they smell when they’re baking!
Ohhh this recipe is a must-make! Love how crazy easy it is…and gluten free for the win!