This super quick and easy vegan cabbage stir fry recipe creates a healthy side dish that is a delicious accompaniment to meats, chicken, or fish.
I was never a big fan of cooked cabbage before my daughter whipped up her vegan cabbage stir fry to sit beside my chicken dinner. And when I say whipped up, I mean it. It was quick, less than 15 minutes from concept to my plate.
And better still, her cabbage was delicious. Loaded with flavor, yet neither spicy nor bland, with just the right amount of crispiness. Best of all, it meets the dietary requirements of the entire family. Naturally gluten-free and dairy-free, it is also low calorie, loaded with healthy goodness, and suitable for a keto diet.
This cabbage stir fry ticks all of the boxes
- Gluten-free (and celiac safe)
- Vegan, therefore dairy-free
- Super quick and easy to make
- Uses only four ingredients
- Prepared from common ingredients already in my pantry
What you need to make our cabbage stir fry
- Small stock pot or wok
- Green cabbage (4 cups)
- Cooking oil (1 Tablespoon)
- Sesame oil (1 teaspoon)
- Soy sauce (1 Tablespoon) If you are cooking for those with celiac disease or any gluten sensitivity, be sure to get gluten-free soy sauce.
Step by step to our cabbage stir fry recipe
A few quick tips:
- The easiest way to remove the core of the cabbage is to quarter the cabbage first.
- You can add flavor with onion. Chop and add the onion right at the beginning, sauteing along with the cabbage.
- For spicy food fans, add some chili flakes when heating the oil.
Our vegan cabbage stir fry recipe creates a quick, easy, and healthy side dish that is a delicious compliment to meats, chicken, or fish. Personally, I like it alongside simple foods like homemade corned beef.
Our vegan cabbage stir-fry recipe
This recipe was contributed by Sarah Albom. If you try it, please be sure to rate the recipe and share it on your favorite social media.
A quick, easy, and healthy side dish that is naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, and low calorie. A good accompaniment for meat and fish dishes.
- 4 cups green cabbage
- 1 Tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce, gluten-free
- Chop ⅓ to ½ head of green cabbage into ½ - 1" (1-2cm) pieces, removing the core.
- Heat cooking oil on high in a stockpot or wok for 1-2 minutes. Add cabbage and stir quickly for 2 minutes.
- Set temperature to low. Add sesame oil and soy sauce. Stir through and cover.
- Serve after 5 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 103Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 308mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 3g
Nutritional information isn't always accurate and it will vary based on the specific ingredients used.
More cabbage recipes to try
- A few more ingredients and Martha Rose Shulman created a spicy stir-fried cabbage that we discovered in the New York Times.
- If lemon and garlic are your passion, don’t miss this cabbage recipe from Inspired Taste.
- For a more complete meal rather than just a side dish, check out this chicken and cabbage stir fry from Salt and Lavender.
Please share and save for later
If you enjoyed this article, please share it on social media and save it for later on Pinterest.
What will you be serving with your vegan cabbage stir fry?
More recipes you might like
Disclaimer: Statements regarding health benefits are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or health condition.
Oooh, love the combo of sesame oil and cabbage!
I’ m always stumped about how to cook cabbage, but this looks not only easy, but also scrumptious. I had forgotten the powers of sesame oil!
I’m very un-vegan, but this looks quite tasty!
Michelle | Flipped-Out Food
I am a huge fan of sauteed cabbage in general for a simple side dish. I love this flavor variation!
Stir fry is a game changer for Cabbage I think! Looking forward to trying this myself
The sesame oil adds so much flavor to this tasty cabbage dish!
Simple and nutritious. Best side dish for any meal. Quick and Easy to make too.
Cabbage is one of my favourite ingredients in stir fries. I can’t wait to try making this dish!
This stir fry sounds delicious! Will be making this as a side dish for chicken stir fry and rice dinner.