This super quick and easy vegan cabbage stir fry recipe creates a healthy side dish that is a delicious accompaniment to meats, chicken, or fish.
I was never a big fan of cooked cabbage before my daughter whipped up her vegan cabbage stir fry to sit beside my chicken dinner. And when I say whipped up, I mean it. It was quick, less than 15 minutes from concept to my plate.
And better still, her cabbage was delicious. Loaded with flavor, yet neither spicy nor bland, with just the right amount of crispiness. Best of all, it meets the dietary requirements of the entire family. Naturally gluten-free and dairy-free, it is also low calorie, loaded with healthy goodness, and suitable for either a low FODMAP or keto diet.
This cabbage stir fry ticks all of the boxes
What you need to make our cabbage stir fry
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Small stock pot or wok
- Green cabbage (4 cups)
- Cooking oil (1 Tablespoon)
- Sesame oil (1 teaspoon)
- Soy sauce (1 Tablespoon) If you are cooking for those with celiac disease or any gluten sensitivity, be sure to get gluten-free soy sauce.
Step by step to our cabbage stir fry recipe
A few quick tips:
- The easiest way to remove the core of the cabbage is to quarter the cabbage first.
- If you are not following a low FODMAP diet, you can add flavor with onion. Chop and add the onion right at the beginning, sauteing along with the cabbage.
- For spicy food fans, add some chili flakes when heating the oil.
Our vegan cabbage stir fry recipe creates a quick, easy, and healthy side dish that is a delicious compliment to meats, chicken, or fish. Personally, I like it alongside simple foods like homemade corned beef.
Our vegan cabbage stir fry recipe
This recipe was contributed by Sarah Albom. If you try it, please be sure to rate the recipe and share it on your favourite social media.
- 4 cups green cabbage
- 1 Tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce, gluten-free
- Chop ⅓ to ½ head of green cabbage into ½ - 1" (1-2cm) pieces, removing the core.
- Heat cooking oil on high in a stockpot or wok for 1-2 minutes. Add cabbage and stir quickly for 2 minutes.
- Set temperature to low. Add sesame oil and soy sauce. Stir through and cover.
- Serve after 5 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 103Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 308mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 3g
Nutritional information isn't always accurate and it will vary based on the specific ingredients used.
More cabbage recipes to try
- A few more ingredients and Martha Rose Shulman created a spicy stir-fried cabbage that we discovered in the New York Times.
- If lemon and garlic are your passion, don’t miss this cabbage recipe from Inspired Taste.
- For a more complete meal rather than just a side dish, check out this chicken and cabbage stir fry from Salt and Lavender.
Please share and save for later
If you enjoyed this article, please share it on social media and save it for later on Pinterest.
What will you be serving with your vegan cabbage stir fry?
More recipes you might like
Disclaimer: Statements regarding health benefits are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or health condition.