A chocolate toffee matzo recipe that is simple and delicious – what a special Passover treat! Especially for me, a believer that everything tastes better covered in chocolate. Matzo is no exception.
Chocolate Toffee Matzo Recipe
Contributed by Jennifer Hazen
- 1 box matzo (15 pieces)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter (for Parve, use margarine)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 cups chopped chocolate or morsels (for Parve, use non-dairy chocolate)
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300F (150C) .
- Line two or more baking pans/cookie sheets with foil.
- Break each sheet of matzo in half and arrange on lined cookie sheets (It’s OK if some overlap matzos).
- Melt butter and sugar over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Pour over matzo and spread with spatula (It will not cover the matzo completely).
- Sprinkle chocolate over matzo.
- Bake for 5 minutes, or until chocolate melts (the morsels of chocolate might not look melted).
- Test with a spatula or knife. If not spreadable, bake a few more minutes.
- Once spreadable, remove from oven; spread chocolate over matzo.
- (Optional) Sprinkle with nuts.
- Put trays, uncovered, in freezer until hardened, about 2 hours.
- Break matzo in smaller, uneven pieces and store in zip-lock bags in freezer.